Located a few kilometers from Barcelona, Cabrera de Mar is a tourist destination overlooking the beach, a town of a few thousand inhabitants that fills up with visitors in the summer season. The project fills an urban void with a residential building, with a construction whose modern language dialogues with the architecture of the old town, even preserving an old stone wall on the basement level.
The school is located on the border between Caselas neighbourhood and Monsanto Natural Park in Lisboa. Caselas was built from the ground up in 1949, as a low-density suburban housing estate, recreating the village environment. The plot configures an interruption of the forest mass, whose presence is still recognizable by the mature and consolidated pine forest that defines its southern perimeter and the big pine tree located at the school entrance. To the north, the plot faces three-story multi-family dwelling buildings. The plot also makes the topographic transition between the pinewood – high level – and the neighbourhood – low level. The original school was built in 1956, according to the Centennial Plan – Extremadura typology. Included four rooms spread over two floors, in two autonomous wings (male and female), complemented by a porch to the north, with the sanitary facilities. Later, two secondary buildings were built.
The Mauritius Commercial Bank building designed by Mauritian architect Jean-Francois Koenig in 2006 and completed in 2012 is situated in the centre of the island of Mauritius to decentralise from head office in the Capital City Port Louis to be closer to the living areas of the workforce thereby reducing travelling time and distance from the workplace.
SPF:a has completed renovations on the Taylor Beach House, a 1977 home originally designed by noted California modernist Jerrold E. Lomax, FAIA (1927-2014). Located along the Malibu, CA coast, the Taylor Beach House is well appointed with 5,000 square feet of modern living space, 50 feet of beach frontage, and unobstructed ocean views from each floor.
Material Works were commissioned to design a a small addition to this victorian terraced house in Stoke Newington, London. With a limited budget and limited space for building in, the challenge was to transform the existing dark and cramped kitchen space into a bright and open space that would cater to the needs of a growing family. To achieve this an extensive roof light was installed above the new addition made from frameless glass panels supported on solid oak roof joists. The new external walls were built with reclaimed local bricks to add character and texture to the interior finish. The rear wall was opened up with large sliding glass doors set above a new window seat in oak veneer to match the structural timber and create additional storage.
The building aims to be a system that harmoniously integrates the new expected uses with a space of high-quality landscaping and urbanity, with various proposed activities with a strong symbolic character. An open, flexible urban facility is generated that allows the development of various contents and promotes social integration.
Light and warmth were the first and most emphasized premises made by clients: a young couple with two daughters. Another request was great communication between the house and its gardens. The lot is located in a gated community in the Pilarzinho neighborhood, in an upper region of the northern area of Curitiba, next to large parks and green areas. It starts as a single block, which is stuck to the side limits of the lot and in the average elevation, to guarantee free space at the back, a minimum need for land movement, and a good elevation of the house because of the view. In this way, a modulation was created where the stairs and the hydraulic infrastructure are located to the center, leaving the ground floor open, allowing the use of a conventional and low-cost structure.
Scarwafa (an acronym for the 6 owners) is a small-scale cohousing project of 3 befriended young families, who acquired three neighboring plots in the Buiksloterham area in Amsterdam, at the height of the last financial crisis. From the start, collectivity and simplicity were the guiding motives. The thin budgets demanded conservativeness in form and materialization. By developing a coherent, collective architectural language, there was an effectiveness in basic detailing and cost savings in implementation. With these basic details in hand, 3 individualized homes with different spatiality have been designed to fit the individual needs.
The church is the last building, in order of construction, of the parish centre designed by studio_continiarchitettura. The complex includes sporting and recreational facilities, spaces for education and meeting places, creating an urban system that promotes community life. The project, developed from a competition held in 2006, is deeply rooted in its context, both through the disposition of its volumes and the use of local materials.